The 816 area code is a North American telephone area code serving the western half of the state of Missouri. It was established in 1947 as one of the original area codes assigned to Missouri, along with the 314 area code. The 816 area code covers the Kansas City metropolitan area, including Jackson, Clay, and Platte counties, and parts of Cass and Lafayette counties.
History of the 816 Area Code
Before the introduction of the 816 area code, the Kansas City area was served by the 913 area code, which covered the entire state of Kansas and part of Missouri. As the population grew and demand for telephone numbers increased, the North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA) created the 816 area code in 1947 to relieve the pressure on the existing 913 area code.
Over the years, the 816 area code has undergone several changes. In 1997, the area code was split, with the eastern portion of the Kansas City metropolitan area being assigned the 913 area code. In 2007, an overlay area code, 975, was proposed but was never implemented due to opposition from local businesses and residents.
Location and Coverage of the 816 Area Code
The 816 area code covers a diverse region of western Missouri, including the urban area of Kansas City and its suburbs, as well as rural communities and small towns. Major cities within the 816 area code include Kansas City, Independence, Lee’s Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, and Raytown.
The 816 area code is also home to several institutions of higher learning, including the University of Missouri-Kansas City, Rockhurst University, and the University of Central Missouri.
Interesting Facts about the 816 Area Code
- The 816 area code is the largest geographical area code in Missouri, covering more than 6,000 square miles.
- The 816 area code is home to the Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Chiefs, two professional sports teams that have won multiple championships.
- The 816 area code is known for its famous barbecue, with dozens of local restaurants serving up delicious slow-smoked meats and savory sauces.
- The 816 area code is also home to several popular attractions, including the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, the National World War I Museum and Memorial, and the Kansas City Zoo.
- In conclusion, the 816 area code is an important part of the telecommunications infrastructure of western Missouri. With its rich history, diverse population, and thriving economy, the 816 area code is a fascinating and dynamic region that continues to grow and evolve. Whether you’re a resident or a visitor, the 816 area code offers something for everyone to explore and enjoy.
Q: What is the 816 area code?
A: The 816 area code is a North American telephone area code that covers the majority of the Kansas City metropolitan area in the states of Missouri and Kansas.
Q: When was the 816 area code created?
A: The 816 area code was created in 1947 as one of the original North American area codes.
Q: Which cities are included in the 816 area code?
A: The 816 area code includes Kansas City, Missouri, as well as many of its surrounding suburbs and communities, such as Independence, Lee’s Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, Parkville, Platte City, and St. Joseph.
Q: Is the 816 area code currently in use?
A: Yes, the 816 area code is currently in use and has been since its creation in 1947.
Q: Will the 816 area code ever change?
A: It’s possible. As with any area code, changes can be made if the demand for phone numbers in the area outgrows the available supply. However, there are no known plans to change the 816 area code at this time.
Q: Can I keep my phone number if I move out of the 816 area code?
A: Yes, you can keep your phone number if you move out of the 816 area code, but you may need to change your area code. If you move to a location that has a different area code, you can typically keep your current phone number by requesting a number transfer from your current provider to your new provider.
Q: How do I dial a phone number within the 816 area code?
A: To dial a phone number within the 816 area code, simply dial the ten-digit phone number, including the area code. If you are dialing from outside of the 816 area code, you will need to include the area code in order to reach the desired phone number.
Q: How do I dial a phone number outside of the 816 area code?
A: To dial a phone number outside of the 816 area code, you will need to include the appropriate area code for the location you are calling. Simply dial 1 followed by the area code and the ten-digit phone number.