Arsenal Through to UCL Quarters in Tense Shootout


In a thrilling showdown, Arsenal triumphed over Porto in a tense penalty shootout to clinch a spot in the quarterfinals of the Champions League. This marks Arsenal’s first advancement to the quarterfinal stage in 14 years, igniting jubilant celebrations among fans.

Porto, who held a 1-0 advantage from the first leg, proved to be formidable opponents for the Premier League leaders throughout the match, setting the stage for a nail-biting encounter.

The deadlock persisted as both teams ended the round-of-16 duel with a 1-1 aggregate score. However, Arsenal’s Martin Odegaard, Kai Havertz, Bukayo Saka, and Declan Rice exhibited composure by converting their penalties with clinical precision.

Despite Porto’s valiant efforts, Wendell’s missed opportunity and Arsenal goalkeeper David Raya’s crucial save from Galeno’s penalty sealed Arsenal’s passage to the next round with a 4-2 shootout victory.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta expressed his elation, emphasizing the significance of this achievement for the club. “A great moment personally and collectively. I’m over the moon to save two penalties in the Champions League to get through to the quarterfinals,” Raya remarked.

The tense encounter saw Leandro Trossard’s well-taken goal leveling the tie just before halftime, showcasing the resilience of both teams. However, neither side could break the deadlock in extra time, leading to a dramatic shootout.

For Arsenal, this triumph not only ends a streak of seven consecutive exits at the round-of-16 stage but also instills confidence as they progress further in the tournament.

Despite Porto’s commendable performance, their record against English clubs suffered another setback, highlighting the relentless determination displayed by Arsenal on their home turf.

As the dust settles on this exhilarating clash, Arsenal now eagerly awaits the draw for the quarterfinals, bolstered by their recent success and eager to continue their quest for European glory.